Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Installing Windows 8 (32-bit) Under VMware Fusion

The first thing that you'll probably notice if you've (like me) been tinkering around with pre-release Microsoft Operating Systems for a while is the appearance of a new "logo" on this version of the software which seems interesting if nothing else.

First off I've configured the VM with 2Gb memory, 4 processors, and a 10gb Hard Drive (it's not like I'm going to be doing any serious amount of work on it). I'm using VMware Fusion 4.1.2 (683185) which I'm pretty certain is the latest version.

The base machine is a Mac BookPro running version Lion 10.7.3 with a 2.2GHz Intel i7 with 8GB of RAM. More than adequate for the task!

The first step was to download the ISO image from Microsoft's MSDN website. I'm going to use the 32-bit version (as the 64-bit version doesn't seem to work in Fusion - see here). I'm not using the public images, I'm using the ones from the MSDN website. Are they the same? No idea. The name of the file is;

en_windows_8_consumer_preview_with_apps_x86_dvd_811827.iso

If that helps, I'm going to connect the DVD drive in VMware Fusion to the image (rather than burning a CD, I imagine this is what everyone does ... but just in case).

When you first boot up you are presented with the following screen;
Windows 8 Release Candidate - Windows Setup Screen
Click "Next";
Windows 8 release Candidate - Windows Setup/ Install Now
Click "Install Now";
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Product Key
Enter your product licensing key (available on MSDN) and click "Next";
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - License Terms
Click the checkbox to accept the terms (you're read it right?) and then click "Next";
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Installation Type
Assuming that you are (like me) installing the software into a blank Virtual Machine click "Custom" (the bottom option);
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Where do you want to install Windows?
Click "Next";
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Installing Windows
There is nothing to do on this screen, just wait for the install the install to complete (shouldn't take that long). The system will then reboot and you'll see various messages at the bottom of the screen like "Preparing", "Getting devices ready", and then finally "restarting your PC".

After the machine has restarted and then you'll be presented with the following screen;
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Personlize
First of all it's nice to see American English hard-coded into the application. I just can't get enough of that. But then it is only a "consumer preview"! My first reaction when being asked by Windows to "pick a colour I like" is to be filled with absolute dread about what effect this will have on the colouring of the interface. My mind is filled with garish windows styles which, because I said I "liked" the colour here, would be with me forever ... But still I just picked the colour on the left (Teal?), entered my PC name, and clicked "Next";
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Settings
Because this is only a test and, fundamentally, I have no problems with Microsoft hoovering up as much information as they need during the public preview so long as the final product doesn't do any such hoovering without my consent I'm going to "Use express settings" (and then regret it later at my leisure);
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Sign in to your PC
I'm going to try a gmail address that I know isn't already linked to a Microsoft account (which I guess will be the typical setup). Enter the email address you wish to use and click "Next";
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Set up a Microsoft Account
This dialog will only appear if you're setting up a new account. If you have already got a Microsoft Account associated with your email account then you'll see something like;
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Enter your Microsoft Account Password
After this dialog a couple of dialogs flash by while the account is created and the system is "Preparing Windows".

Then you're presented with your new "Start" screen;
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Start Screen
 And you're done.

NOTE: I now installed VMware Tools (the Windows 7 version) and it all worked perfectly including with Unity desktop. The whole process of doing the install took around 30 minutes which would have been a lot quicker if I'd not had to grab all these screen shots!

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Thanks for a great reead