This Knol is a bit of a departure for me in that I'm not suggesting a solution to a particular problem more I'm just sharing with the world my total exasperation when trying to get SharePoint 2010 setup and running on an internal test server (so I can test SQL Server Reporting Services Integrated Mode - I'm not even trying to test SharePoint!).
This Knol runs through the process of installing SharePoint 2010 until a "Configuration failed" error occurs in effect ending the process.
I find it staggering that this hasn't been properly tested by Microsoft prior to release of SharePoint 2010 - if I was trying to install software from a different manufacturer I'd expect these kind of problems but performing a practically automated installed by the people who wrote both peices of software and it not working is not really acceptable.
Hopefully someone at Microsoft will read this and duplicate the problem on their servers and provide a solution. Hopefully.
Build and configure your Windows 2008R2 server, to exactly duplicate the error message (and process below) after you've booted into Windows add the feature ".NET Framework 3.5.1" as well as the prerequisite Features and Services (IIS) that it requires.
Once you've done that you're ready to go through the process below.
Run the SharePoint 2010 Installer (as provided on the DVD):
Click on "Install software prerequisites" under the "Install" section:
Click "Next", accept the licensing agreement (after reading it of course!), then click "Next" to begin the installation:
This will take about 10 minutes, probably for the first time on an installation dialog (that I’ve noticed) you actually get the time the process started as well as how long it’s been running for. Something I think we should encourage!
Actually it doesn’t – it lets you know when the current step started and how long that’s been running for. Much less useful. Ah well, we’re getting there I suppose!
Once the installation has completed you’ll see the dialog:
Click on "Finish" to restart your system.
Once your system comes back up re-run the SharePoint 2010 installer and this time select "Install SharePoint Server". After a few seconds you'll be prompted to enter your Product Key, type that in, wait a few seconds for it to be validated, then click "Continue", accept the licensing agreement, and then click "Continue":
Select "Standalone" as we're building a single box instance (rather than adding a new component(s) to an existing farm):
The installation process will now continue, once it has completed it will display the following dialog:
Clicking on "Close" will trigger the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard to start up:
Click "Next" and a dialog will appear:
This dialog is simply warning you that if you're on a production server that users are actually using then they can expect the service to be unavailable (potentially) depeding on what you select in this wizard. We're on a new server and so don't really care. Click "Yes" to continue:
The configuration will now take place and then the following dialog is displayed:
For the sake of completeness here is the text of that error message:
One of more configuration settings failed. Completed configuration settings will not be rolled back. Resolve the problem and run this configuration wizard again. The following contains detailed information about the failure:
Failed to create the configuration database.
An exception of type System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException was thrown. Additional exception information: The data is invalid.
To diagnose the problem, review the application event log and the configuration log file location at:
Click Finish to close this wizard."
Why installing the latest version of SharePoint on the latest version of Windows Server doesn't work out of the box is beyond me.